Monday 14 July 2014

Only two weeks late... Challenge 3 finished

After Kathy had left I got started on my assignment no. 3, which had been hovering in my mind for a while now. It all had started with this fabric which I just had to have when I saw it:

At first I thought I might give a part of it to Kathy for her birthday,  because she likes stripes so much, but when ideas started popping up in my mind I turned really selfish and decided I would keep all two meters that I had bought to myself.
First I cut 1" strips of the striped fabric and arranged them between dark blue strips that kept getting wider in quarter inch steps.

The narrow striped strips were folded in half and ironed, and sewn between the strips, extending out a little bit. Then I cut 2 wider pieces of unequal width, and 5 small strips in perpendicular direction, turned three of the narrow ones upside down and put it all back together.

Quilting is sparse - and due to my current strategy of avoiding having to sink threads this results in dangling ends of thread on the front.

Pulled all thread ends to the front, tied the pairs together approx.
half an inch away from the fabric, and then cut them to
approx. same length of "turned around my index finger once". 

Because the threads are not weighted,
they stick into different directions.

And good I did not to give any of this fabric away (sorry Kathy!) - I have more ideas and will probably use all of it up completely in a larger piece, once I have completed all my quilts for the exhibition in Alfeld in October.
This was fun - looking forward to starting on Barbara's assingment no. 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment