Monday 30 June 2014

What I'm not making...

With the challenge of a change in scale, my first thought was to continue my explorations  based very loosely on paintings by Prunella Clough , with a picture  of a whole  door  embedded in a detail  showing textures of that door ( as in Anavriti II  below )   

 So I used a section of the photo below, printed out on cotton and then had a fine time searching through my stash to find orangey  fabrics with interesting wood-like marks.
But it wasn't doing anything for me so I'm starting again with the photos that inspired this 2009 journal quilt below based on door of Queen Charlottes Cottage in the grounds of Kew Gardens.  Simpler , more interesting shapes, contrast in tones and lots of interesting details in the wood grain should do nicely. I've gathered together my fabrics, just working out the construction so apologies that it will be a little late.  I do hope to be able to pass my quilts over to Uta at FoQ   so that's a deadline to work to . 
Ps Found an old blog post in my searches where I recognise my procrastination and need of deadlines in 'Student Syndrome'. I do generally achieve what I want but the stress levels are high!  

Friday 27 June 2014

New Challenge

I have to admit that I have been so busy preparing the Radiation exhibition in Geneva (by the way, we had fantasic feed-back!), that I have not gotten around to making my quilt for the last challenge. But I do not want to be in the way of your creative flow so I will go ahead and post the theme I came up with. 
Creating visual texture by repetition is nothing new, but for some reason it has been occupying my perception and way of thinking for the last few weeks.  These are some pictures I took in Geneva at the CERN and at the European UNO headquarters to give you an idea what I am talking about. Normally I work with an overall background in my pieces and create a sort of color-wash backdrop. In this case I would like to explore creating repetitive patterns with pieces that are similar in size, thus giving the piece a sense of rythem and well, texture.

I hope you all have a great summer with a lot of time for creative flow and relaxation!


Third assignment -- almost done!

I thought I would be able to get my third quilt finished by the end of June but I need a couple more days. And I won't be back in the studio for three weeks, because I'm off to Europe -- where I will be visiting with Uta on the way to a family reunion.  But there's enough of it finished to show a picture.

The back story on this quilt is that a couple of years ago I made a quilt inspired by a photograph by somebody in my art book club.  You can read about it on my blog here and see a picture of the quilt.

I didn't think the quilt was worth finishing, but I loved the way the stripes worked together, especially the places where the regular pattern was interrupted and distorted.  Ever since I have been meaning to make another quilt to explore what can happen with stripes.

So this is what I have come up with, and best of all, I'm fulfilling the requirements of the challenge at the same time that I'm making something I have wanted to do for a long time.

When I get home and finish the quilt I'll post another photo.