Tuesday 5 November 2013

Hello to all
I think all the quilts should be the same size as the first project we decided. 40 cm / 80 cm.
I hope it will not be a problem in the future.
Best regards
Ita Ziv

Monday 4 November 2013

Conditions, Size, and news items...

It seems that we have not been entirely clear on some aspects of conditions, size, posting, etc. Which is why Gillian redid her red piece, and Kathy has sent me a mail asking about the size for Ita's conditions. Which I could answer only partially...

So I suggest the following:

  • Conditions for new assignments should be posted on the blog, and not sent by e-mail (or sent by e-mail only in addition to the post on the blog) so everybody can still find them even after they have cleared out their mail boxes.
  • Sizes should be included in the requirement if you want us to work in the same size. As I had understood it, for the red piece, we had sort of agreed on 40 x 80 cm, but I did not understand that as a definite given (and my own is 90 cm long).
  • For Ita's conditions, no size has been indicated yet - Ita, do you want to give a size? Or did you understand us as all working on a 40 x 80 again? I am working on something right now which is big (approx. 150 cm wide and high), as I wanted to use it for my exhibition next year and need to fill walls...

Have fun working from back to white with a little bit of color...

Saturday 2 November 2013

Eti David

When I found out that I take part in the "International Treads" group and the first mission
is – "Red" I took out my stash of red fabrics.
I choose about 25 five different pieces, cut triangles and built a composition that gave place to almost  all the "reds" that I have.
I have to give credit to Sue Benner, that gave me the idea of using this technique.

Friday 1 November 2013

Better than nothing

I've been swamped for the last couple of months and am shamefully behind in my project, but here it is the last day of the month (the deadline) and I have finished piecing the top -- so at least you can see that I'm alive.

I have used this style of piecing before, such as in my quilt "Big Ice" that is traveling in the SAQA Seasonal Palette exhibit.  I'm also partway through a large project using this style of piecing with commercial stripe fabrics.  But here I'm experimenting with commercial prints other than stripes, the first time I've tried that approach.  I was happy to have this assignment to push me into the experiment.

Big Ice

So here's the new one, still without a name:

Not sure I have handled the transitions between fabrics as well as I would like, but that's something to work on in subsequent projects. Right now I'm enjoying the reds and am pleased with the way this one is turning out.  I particularly like the way the large polka dot print in the center has gotten distorted through the fracturing and re-piecing, an effect you don't get with smaller-scale prints.

I'll post again when I finish the quilting, which may not get done until after the holidays.